In Words

The Story of My Love

We used to play together as kids. Spend whole days exploring the world. Believing our friendship would last forever. Never knowing girls weren't supposed to like boys.
People grew up around us. Whispered at how cute we were. They'd ask me about my 'boyfriend'. I didn't understand.
Playgrounds and street games turned to school and study. Meeting on the weekends to chat and giggle together. Nothing could lessen our friendship.
Other friends arrived. We each grew our own circles. People whispered in our ears. They influenced our thoughts.
Instead of meeting on the weekends, we'd hang out with friends. Drifting apart, we spoke less and less, until we hardly knew each other at all.
I grew up, left school, got a job. I didn't know what happened to you. You were just a memory of a childhood long past.
A work trip to a far off place changes everything. I stumble upon you again. You hardly recognise me. It's been so long.
Hours of talking, every free minute spent catching up. Friendship rekindles. Maybe something more.
The work trip ends, but the friendship doesn't. We stay in contact. We're closer than we've ever been before. Every free minute is devoted to you.
And then you arrive on my doorstep. Tell me that I'm all that matters in your life. That you'd love to spend forever with me. You ask your childhood friend to be your wife. In that moment I knew, yes it would last forever and beyond.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment